Golden Rock is estate 4 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s and decommissioned before 1856. The windmill was incorporated into a pavilion by the swimming pool. The windmill tower is partly collapsed.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 4, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. Both Beck printings depicted an animal mill in estate 7. The annotated Beck maps added sails to the animal mill to depict a windmill.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps depict a windmill near the shore, with other structures to the southwest. The 1856 Parsons map depicts a tower without sails, an Old Mill, at Golden Rock. The 1919 topographic sheet and 1958 topographic map both depicted ruins identifiable as a windmill. However, the 1982 photorevision omits identification of ruins, likely due to the incorporation of the windmill into the condominium development.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Evans heirs. The annotated Beck maps from 1766 through the early 1770s attributed ownership to Isaac Evans. By 1778 and through 1791, ownership transitioned to James Towers.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.84) locates an Estatehouse on 66-foot knoll. Identifies early owner as Isaac Ewans and later combined with Little Princess as Phillips’ Estate.