Constitution Hill is estate 7 in St. Croix’s Company Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the 1740s and decommissioned before 1778. The animal mill was scratched out on the c.1770 map and appears on no maps from 1778 and later. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 12, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. Both Beck printings depicted an animal mill in estate 7. The annotated Beck maps retained this animal mill, with the curious exception of the c.1770 annotated map that crossed out the animal mill.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps depict no structures in estate 7. The 1856 Parsons map also depicts no structures while identifying some elevation marks. None of the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Johann Wilhelm Schoppen. The 1760s annotated Beck maps and manuscript copies attributed ownership to James Hely Hughes widow, while the 1770 maps attributed ownership to Friis Eilschow. By 1790, ownership transitioned to General Schimelman.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.58) notes the 350-foot height of the hill within neighboring estate 25 in Queen Quarter, along with the early ownership by James Hely Hughes’ widow.