Catherine’s Rest is estate 12 in St. Croix’s Company Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the 1740s and decommissioned by the mid-1750s. The animal mill appears on the 1750 manuscript map and the first Beck printing, being obscured on the second printing. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 12, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. Catherine’s Rest creates curiosity between the two Beck printings by virtue of the animal mill appearing on the first printed map being rubbed out from the printing plate on the second printing, a change clearly evident on the several surviving copies of the second printing. The annotated Beck maps retained what was printed in estate 12, with the 1766 map depicting the animal mill and all others no animal mill. The manuscript copies of Beck followed the second printing with no windmill. However, the Küffner map from Oldendorp’s book depicts a sugar mill, attributing ownership to Nully.
The 1799 Oxholm map depicts a structure but not a sugar mill icon at Catharina Ryst and the 1856 Parsons map does the same at Catherine’s Rest. None of the 20th century topographic maps depict ruins identifiable as a windmill.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Joh. Michael Lavien, most noted as being the first husband of Alexander Hamilton’s mother and had her imprisoned along with her lover Johann Cronenberg, the surveyor largely responsible for the 1750 map, and both subsequently expelled from St. Croix. By 1766, ownership transitioned to Major de Nully. By 1790, ownership of the northern half of estate 12 attributed to Oxholm and the southern half to De Nully.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.52) notes the location and varied spellings of Catherine’s Rest along with its early ownership by Major de Nully.