Bugby Hole is estate 20-21 in St. Croix’s Company Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the animal mill was likely built in the 1740s and decommissioned before 1856. No field reconnaissance was done to locate ruins of the animal mill.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 21, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. The printed Beck maps both included an animal mill, which was retained on the annotated and manuscript copies.
The 1799 Oxholm map depicts an animal mill at Bugby hole. The 1856 Parsons map does not depict a windmill or tower but does depict other structures. None of the 20th century topographic maps identify ruins at Bobby Hole or Bugbyhole.
The 1750 map attributed ownership to Daniel Cole. For the northern portion of estate 21, ownership attributed on all the annotated Beck maps to James Hanson or Peter Heiliger Senior. By 1790, ownership of the western portion attributed to Dunbavin and the eastern portion to De Nully.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.43) notes the location of estate Bugby Hole with some early ownership attributions.