Beeston Hill is estate 6 in St. Croix’s Company’s Quarter. Based on appearances on historic maps, the windmill was likely built in the 1760s and decommissioned before 1856 based on its absence on the Parsons map. The windmill was incorporated into a dwelling. The windmill tower is in good condition.
Sugar cultivation came early to estate 6, with structures including an animal mill depicted on the 1750 map. The printed Beck maps both included an animal mill, with sails added on most of the annotated and manuscript copies.
The 1778 and 1799 Oxholm maps both depict a windmill, with the 1778 map also including an animal mill and the 1799 map naming the estate Bidsted hill. Both maps locate other structures to the northeast at a short distance. The 1856 Parsons map does not depict a windmill at Beeston Hill but does include a square in the general location of the other structures depicted on the Oxholm maps. All the 20th century topographic maps indicate ruins identifiable as a windmill at Beeston Hill.
The 1750 map attributed no ownership. Ownership attributed to Cornelius Kortright on the annotated Beck maps in the 1760s and early 1770s. By 1778, ownership transitioned to Thomas Cravan and then again to Strode by 1790.
McGuire geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands (p.33) notes the location and extent of Estate Beeston Hill, identifying an estate house on a 330-foot hill. Cornelius Kortrik identified as owner.